Monday, August 31, 2009

Yes, We Still Cook...

a meal I didn't actually cook but thoroughly enjoyed nonetheless!

Seems I’ve been so preoccupied with Audrey starting school (and therefore eating school lunch) that I haven’t had much time to blog about the actual food the girlies are trying and (sometimes) actually eating at home.

So I’m going to go back to my roots for a bit a blog about what we're cooking around here...

(+ I volunteered in A’s school cafeteria on Friday and was so freaked out by the experience that I’m going to have to back off the whole school lunch thing for a while so I can process and plot my next steps… Let’s just say that I’m abandoning my original goal of having her buy lunch at least three days a week. She gets to buy once a week and I’m packing her lunch every other day. And that’s all I’ll say about that…for now ;-)

So onto what we’re eating or better yet, what Audrey’s eating of late. Her new favorite food is, wait for it... chicken satay*, which as you can imagine is quite thrilling. She specifically requests "those chicken curry sticks”… The kid digs the taste of curry. Yay!

On the flip side, at the stellar brunch that lovely cousin Erin and boyfriend Ben made for us yesterday (photo above), I begged her to try Ben’s homemade beignets. I mean seriously what kid doesn’t want to try a homemade sugar covered donut? Mine apparently. No dice, it just wasn’t happening.

Oh well.

Any major food adventures/wins in your world of late?


* Audrey loves the ones from our neighborhood Thai restaurant, but when I make them at home , I always use this recipe

Chicken Satay -- adapted from epicurian.com

  • 2 lbs. white meat chicken, cut in 1" strips
  • Bamboo satay sticks
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 tbsp. curry powder
  • 1 tsp. coriander powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. butter
  • 3 tbsp. light cream
  • 1/2 c. coconut milk

Combine marinade ingredients and add chicken to mixture. Marinate for at least two hours.

Thread chicken pieces on one end of satay sticks. Broil or much better, barbecue and baste with marinade.

16 comments:

  1. My son has developed a love for tamales. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade beignets? A dream come true! Do you have a tried and true satay recipe to share? I've never made at home, but I bet my kids would love it. Kids tend to like stuff served in unique ways - a la chicken-on-a-stick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a favorite recipe for chicken satay? I've always been a little shy to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Audrey on the curry. Yum!

    Are we still on for the cooking group to launch tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim -- i'm behind on organizing stuff for the cooking group...so i might propose one more tiny delay...sept 15???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joslyn,
    I say yes on the delay! I started back at school today, and start back at teaching on Wednesday, so this would be great... : )
    Hope all is well! Am catching up with all your blog posts now...

    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for the delay.

    This summer, my older son discovered shrimp and lobster. Since his father doesn't really enjoy lobster at all, I'm thrilled to have a partner. Sort of. Lobster for one is cheaper by a LOT.

    Can't wait to hear more about the cafeteria.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids gobbled up the pesto tonight, and didn't even complain abt the chicken! They were an oily mess at the end of the meal, but I didn't care one bit. Love a two thumbs up dinner from the lot of them!

    We have the same school lunch buying arrangement. She picks one day to buy, and then she gets to buy an ice cream on Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very envious of the beignets. I'm terrified of frying things and I sure do miss eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yippee for packing lunch! Bravo chica Dee

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son slayed me yesterday as he was snacking in the car saying, "mom i think pistachio nuts and cashews are the best things ever!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. those curry chicken satays sound delicious, i'll have to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're pretty stuck on the frozen blueberries and blackberries over here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Curious about the school cafeteria experience -- but maybe I just don't want to know!

    Thanks for the recipe ... my little one might just like this ... will try this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the recipe! I have a feeling my pickiest eater might just go for these. And truthfully, I've always wanted to make the peanut butter dipping sauce, it's a favorite. So my motives are not completely selfless. But the kiddos don't have to know that, right! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd give anything to have a homemade beignet right now! And oddly, that's the second time I read/heard about them today... is that a sign?? ;)

    ReplyDelete