Tuesday, July 6, 2010

It All Comes Back to Cobbler

I had intended to write an altogether different post today...one that lamented my absence from the kitchen and featured lovely photos of all the restaurant food we've eaten in the past few weeks. Yep, I was all set to write a post telling you that I was feeling about cooking pretty much how Millie looks in that photo above...blah. Oh and I was going to tell you that when we aren't eating in restaurants, we're just noshing on lots of cheese plates.

I was pretty much going to write that.

But then, lo, a holiday weekend rolled around, and, well... I cooked. I cooked a lot. Yes, hot dogs were one of the things I cooked, and clearly that doesn't count as cooking, but I also made a fantastic corn, jalapeno, feta salad and a yummy tomato, cucumber salad, and a nice pasta dish, and a really stellar (if I do say so myself) peach, raspberry cobbler. So alas, there will be no restaurant photos today.

At some point this weekend, I also realized that I stopped cooking right at my 100th post on this blog... Strange, no? And in looking back over the archives during a mild bout of insomnia, I also discovered that almost exactly one year to the day, I was making, wait for it, peach cobbler.

Hmm...

Really I have nothing to conclude from all of this, except to say, we're cooking again, which is good. Oh and I would highly recommend this cobbler.





Peach Raspberry Cobbler -- Adapted from the Joy of Cooking


Filling

  • 7 -9 medium peaches
  • 2 cups of raspberries
  • 1/4 cup of sugar


Topping

  • 1 cup all-purpose four
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon vanilla
  • 4 tablespoons butter softened
  • 1/3 cup of sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk

Cut peaches into even slices and cover the bottom of an oval baking dish evenly. Top with the raspberries and evenly sprinkle fruit with the 1/4 cup of sugar. Set aside.

Wisk together thoroughly the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

In a separate bowl, beat the butter, vanilla and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and then add half the dry ingredients and beat on low until just incorporated.

Beat in the buttermilk and then add the remaining dry ingredients until the batter is just smooth.

Spoon the batter evenly over the fruit mixture and cook for about 35 minutes on 350. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.

14 comments:

  1. Lucky for me, I just happen to have some buttermilk in the fridge and a basket of peaches! Thanks for cooking again Joslyn! {wink, wink}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing beats cobbler!! Yum! must make this soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making peach cobbler, my grandmother gave me an old-fashion just delirious recipe that I make over and over again. I love the one you post. Cooking is a happy-maker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks scrumptious. And I can relate to that feeling of not being in the kitchen as much as you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad I'm not the only one who can swing from cooking everything from scratch and loving every minute to blah, nothing, no inspiration, just lots of takeout. Rinse. Repeat. Ha ha! I made a big salad last night and a homemade pizza with spinach, feta and tomatoes. So I think we're back in business...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you on the not-cooking deal. I promised my family I'd get back at it this week. Something about summer....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so good!

    Not sure if you've checked out this blog, but it seems up your alley.... www.crumpetsandcakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to hear you're cooking again. However, there is certainly nothing wrong with taking a lovely summer break and enjoying some nice restaurants. I LOVE cobbler! This one looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to try this, it looks incredible! - krsta

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM!! I think i need to make this over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you- Thank you- Thank you! I was given a newer edition of "Joy" and foolishly gave my old one away. Our favored peach cobbler is NOT in there! You saved our day. (Nothing compares, especially with fresh whipped cream.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made this at my son's house in Seattle, but used blackberries. He put some heavy cream in s quart mason jar and everyone took turns shaking it until we had whipped cream. Delicious!

      Delete
  12. In this particular article, you will see a summary, satisfy browse this post. Air Fryer Wattage

    ReplyDelete