Monday, February 7, 2011

And So I Leave You with Some Brownies...


I've been putting-off this post for a while...avoiding the inevitable if you will, but after over three months of slakerdom in this space, I am officially retiring Raising Foodies (for now, because you just never know...)

I kept thinking I would come back, I did, but it just never seemed to happen. It didn't happen after a holiday filled with cooking (and eating)... It didn't happen after I made an enormous six-layer rainbow birthday cake for Millie... It didn't happen after baking spice cupcakes, a cake, and the best brownies of all-time on the same snowy, house-bound day.

So I finally came to terms with the fact that it was never going to happen, and this is my attempt at closure. (I'm a fan of therapy, can you tell?)

I am proud of what "Raising Foodies" was. I loved interacting with you guys in this space, I loved that it made me think about how we were preparing and eating our food... that it was the catalyst for the girlies to try lots of new things they may not have otherwise.

But I think what I'm most proud of is how it's changed the way we approach dinner every night as a family. Our meals now are very different than they were pre-"Foodies". They're less harried, more mindful, more wholesome. We eat out very rarely (a major change), all four of us preferring to eat at home most nights. Sure some of this can be attributed to the fact that the girls are older, more independent and amenable, making cooking easier, but I believe when you put a goal out there, when you invite others to be a part of it, thus feeling some accountability to those people, it will change you.

So thank you. Thank you for being a part of our little food adventure, for helping us change.

And as a token of my appreciation, I've leaving you with (literally) the best brownies I have. ever. eaten. (and I have eaten a lot of brownies). I made them last night, and I'm not going to lie...they were a revelation.

Oh and they were super easy too. Enjoy!

Alice Medrich's Cocoa Brownies with Browned Butter and Walnuts (via Bon Appetit)


Ingredients:
  • Nonstick vegetable oil spray
  • 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder (spooned into cup to measure, then leveled)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs, chilled
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 cup walnut pieces

Preparation:

Position rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 325°F. Line 8x8x2-inch metal baking pan with foil, pressing foil firmly against pan sides and leaving 2-inch overhang. Coat foil with nonstick spray.

Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Continue cooking until butter stops foaming and browned bits form at bottom of pan, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; immediately add sugar, cocoa, 2 teaspoons water, vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon (generous) salt. Stir to blend. Let cool 5 minutes (mixture will still be hot).

Add eggs to hot mixture 1 at a time, beating vigorously to blend after each addition. When mixture looks thick and shiny, add flour and stir until blended. Beat vigorously 60 strokes. Stir in nuts. Transfer batter to prepared pan.

Bake brownies until toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean (with a few moist crumbs attached), about 25 minutes. Cool in pan on rack. Using foil overhang, lift brownies from pan. Cut into 4 strips. Cut each strip crosswise into 4 brownies. DO AHEAD Can be made 2 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.

18 comments:

  1. I'm sad to see it but appreciate the closure. Please let it live here so I can come back to visit some favorites. The corn salad, among others, will live on fondly in our house.
    It was a fun journey--thanks for sharing it with us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came over here to check on the goodness you've got over here. (I've been in slackdom too.) Sad to see this end, but I'm glad to have some posts to catch up on. Thanks for all the sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. raisingfoodies - how i've missed you!!! thanks for blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raising Foodies will be missed. I will see you at Simple Lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. at least you left us with an incredibly delicious ending...

    ReplyDelete
  6. blessings to you & the girls and all your food adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sad to see this blog go, but will secretly hope for some food-inspired posts on your other blog. You've definitely given me hope that I can have small kids who will learn to appreciate food. REAL food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Along with others, sad to see you go but will still enjoy reading Simple Lovely and hope that maybe some food related posts will creep in there! I've enjoyed this blog and by my emails to you, you know I've tried some of the recipes and really enjoyed them. Thanks for this delicious sounding recipe - I'll be trying that too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please leave it up so that I can take the time to read it when my baby starts eating!

    It's an awesome venture - I hope you are proud of it. It takes real wisdom to appreciate that many things are meant for just a season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sad to see it go, but what a way to end. :)
    Thank You Josyln!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made those last week too! You could always just do a food post every once in a while on your blog - maybe a monthly feature? Would take the pressure off. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please go back to your very first post and read it. The purpose of starting this blog is right there. You have done a great job. Please don't stop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi!!!! I just found your blog!!! It's wonderful, please come back!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'll try to do theese brownies!
    my blog is http://evelynbcosaslindas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Making these right now! Using Scharffenberger so the chocolate flavor should be deep and complex. Sad to see you go, but I understand! Food blogging is more time consuming than I ever thought it would be!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Truly I discovered this article more enlightening, a debt of gratitude is in order for sharing this article.
    Best Parboiled Basmati Rice

    ReplyDelete
  17. شركة التميز المثالي للخدمات المنزلية وتنظيف المنازل والشقق والفلل بالدمام والخبر والقطيف والجبيل
    قسم خاص المجاري بالضغط ومكافحة الحشرات وتنظيف للمجالس والسجاد والموكيت وتنظيف الخزانات
    نقدم افضل الخدمات المنزلية بالمنطق الشرقية 0551844053

    شركة تسليك مجاري بالدمام
    شركة تنظيف منازل بالدمام
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
    شركة تنظيف منازل بالجبيل
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالجبيل
    شركة تنظيف سجاد بالجبيل
    شركة تسليك مجاري بالخبر
    شركة تنظيف منازل بالخبر
    شركة تركيب وصيانة الكهرباء بالدمام والخبر
    شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالجبيل



    ReplyDelete