It was a team effort, with Bryan grilling the sausages for my pasta as well as some lemons for Erin’s salad, which was a great combo of arugula, pine nuts, shaved Campo De Montalban (we’re loving that stuff) and a simple dressing of olive oil, a little champagne vinegar, some lemon juice, salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar.
For dessert I made a strawberry rhubarb crumble -- it was my first time to cook with rhubarb, so I was a smidge nervous, but I have to say it was incredibly easy and turned out pretty freakin yummy (I started with this recipe from Smitten Kitchen and then added some brown sugar and oats for the crumble…) Next time I think I’ll go wild and omit the strawberries; I’m living on the edge here people, completely surrendering to the perfect tartness that is rhubarb.
In Audrey news, she tried five new foods this weekend with surprisingly little resistance.
Her foodie adventures and reactions as follows:
- A bit of grilled lemon (above) -- Hated it.
- Homemade hummus on some baked pita – Hated it.
- A piece of drunken goat cheese – Hated it.
- A bit of local mozzarella from Mozzarella Company -- I think she would have normally liked it, but it came out of a tomato mozzarella salad, so it was infused with some olive oil, basil, tomato and a bit of vinegar, thus – Hated it.
- A bit of rhubarb crisp w/ice cream (I'm determined that she'll love fruit crisp) – Hated it.
- A bowl of wheat fettuccini topped with shaved parmesan and mild Italian sausage – Loved it, but this wasn’t a stretch for her at all, so I’m not sure it counts.
Tomorrow, I’ll share a few recipes!