Here goes; I’m not crazy about avocados.
There I said it. I don’t hate them per say, I’m just not really a fan -- I don’t buy them and when they come on something I've ordered, I bequeath them to someone who actually enjoys them… that sort of thing. And with guacamole, I’m mezzo mezzo. I would never make it or order it, but if it’s already on the table, I’ll dip a few chips in.
But recently there’s been a change. A few months ago, my friend Stephanie showed up at a party toting some homemade guacamole specked with feta cheese. I dipped the corner of a chip in and was completely intrigued... In the days after the party, I couldn’t get it out of my mind and set out to re-create my own version at home.
After a little experimenting, I came up with the following simple and foolproof recipe, and I have to say (all modesty aside) it’s amazing… Truly.
I highly recommend giving it a whirl this weekend.
p.s. – yes this is the same guacamole that set off Audrey’s "gag fest 2009". Don’t hold that against it…you know we’re working on her taste buds here.
Guacamole with Feta Cheese
- 3 ripe (preferably organic) Haas avocados
- One small container crumbled feta cheese
- 1 lemon
- Sea salt, fresh ground pepper and Spike to taste
- 1 medium diced tomato (preferably local + organic) *
- 1 small Vidalia onion *
- About ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro *
* I often substitute the above three ingredients with the better part of a container of Whole Foods Pico De Gallo. It’s perfection.
The assembly couldn’t be easier, I just dice my avocado, squeeze in the lemon, add the feta and the pico and smash it all together with a fork. Then I add in my salt, pepper and Spike to taste and smash a little more.